Sunday, October 12, 2008

Practical Thology for Women

by Kathi

I have to say that, for me, this book ranks among my favorites. It is a book to reference again and again. I could just quote the whole book, but I will focus on just a couple things I really liked.

Chapter 4 Appropriating What You Believe - pgs. 55-57. The author elaborates on an example of how God corrected her vision, enabling her to refocus on him as she drove home. I have asked the question a number of times, "how do you, in the middle of a situation, stay focused on God." The answers I always get are not all that different from Wendy's, if I can personalize her, but her answer finally gives me the tool I need. Her "quick reflection at a stop light served as my spiritual lens adjustment, putting God's eternal purposes back as the center of my attention."

I know what I believe about God and what is in my heart. I don't have to leave a situation and come back after I have refocused; I just need to make that lens adjustment (in the blink of an eye). It doesn't change the situation but it changes my focus and approach immediately, and that changes everything. Her job struggle was still in her line of vision, but it no longer demanded her focus or consumed her energy.

Chapter 2 What is Faith? The move from unbeilef to belief when you can't figure out how God is going to use a bad circumstance for your good, is evidenced when you move form despair to peace, despite nothing changing in your circumstances.
The last statement in Chapter four: Know Him and then act like you know Him,that is Faith.






2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Finally - a post! I swear I didn't lock her in her room until she posted... really I didn't ;)

Great post!

Amanda said...

"Know Him, and then act like you know Him..." That was one of my favorites, too.